So you’ve got some knowledge to share and want to know how best to create an online course, right? Below are some resources to get you started.
Congrats on realizing that what you know might be valuable to others and for making the decision to share it.
- Is creating an online course really the best move for your business?
- Planning and creating your online course
- How to promote your online course
- Case Studies of people who've successfully launched online courses
- Podcasts about how to create an online course
- The final word (before you go create your online course)
This post may contain affiliate links, meaning I receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. This helps me pay to keep this site going and to bring all these free resources to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Is creating an online course really the best move for your business?
Now before we get into some useful resources, I’d like to invite you to consider something very important…
Why do you want to create an online course?
I ask you this because many people I’ve spoken to recently are talking about how they’re “course’d out.”
Here are 7 reasons why creating an online course might not be a good idea. Read it first before you do anything. Seriously.
In my personal experience creating and launching an online course is hard damn work.
You’ve got to:
- Put together the course structure,
- Record the videos,
- Polish them up,
- Create the membership portal,
- Create and load up all the materials,
- Create content to spread the word about the course,
- Promote the course,
- Get people to sign up (and pay up if you’re charging for it)
- Support your students
- Make sure that you get good completion rates. After all, the success of your online course is predicated on how many people actually complete it, get results from it, and then refer others to your course.
- Collect and create compelling case studies so that you can sell more courses,
- and more!
Now, if you still feel strongly about creating an online course and…
If you have hard evidence that people want it, i.e., vocal or written agreement or, better yet, cold hard $$ deposited into your PayPal or bank account, then read on…
Course Building Done For You
As I mentioned above, creating an online course ain’t easy. It’s time-consuming, and there’s much mucking about with tools, systems, and other things.
If you’ve got the budget, I recommend you consider a done-for-you solution.
Course 9 is one business that helps its clients extract their knowledge out of their heads and turn it into online courses, making the process as pain-free as possible so you can focus on sharing your knowledge and not getting bogged down in the rest of it.
Now, if you have more time than money right now or just enjoy building your own stuff (or you’re simply a control freak), let’s talk DIY…
In fact, we recommend you read our 9 Steps to Creating an Online Course That’s Profitable and Scaleable guide if you haven’t already. That way, you can then reference the list below for specific resources to help you based on what stage of course development you’re in.
26 Free DIY Course Building Resources To Get You Started
Planning and creating your online course
- Three Steps to Creating the RIGHT Online Course by MNIB Consulting (Breanne’s blog is loaded with awesome content for course builders)
- How to Launch an Online Course [Ultimate Step-By-Step Guide] by Teachable (also check out their blog & cool resources)
- 10 Steps To Creating A Wildly Successful Online Course by Thinkific
- Mega-Guide To Creating An Online Course by Kajabi
- Building Your Business with Online Courses by Convertkit
- 5 Mistakes Bloggers are Making with Online Courses
- 5 Reasons Most Online Courses Fail (and How Not to be One of Them)
- 31 Tips from 31 Course Creators on How to Build and Launch a Successful Online Course
- Marketing School: Tools to Help You Build & Sell Your Own Online Course
- Ask Ramit – How Do I Create and Sell Online Courses? See video below.
How to promote your online course
- How To Host Live Webinars to Sell Online Courses (Complete Guide)
- 55 Ways To Market Your Online Course & Increase Sales In 2017
- 6-figure Blogging: How to Monetize A Blog Video Course (in 30 days)
- How To Spend $40 A Month On Facebook Ads
Case Studies of people who’ve successfully launched online courses
- Case Study: Sales funnel we used to launch our first product and make $220,750 in 10 days by Bryan Harris of Videofruit
- Smart Passive Income Case Study: From Course Concept to $141,659 in Sales in 6 Months
- The $130,208 Case Study: How Nick Stephenson Created & Launched His First Online Course
- The Teacherpreneur: How to Launch Your First Online Course and Get Buyers with Nathan Horne (check out the other case studies too)
- 7 Lessons I Learned While Testing & Launching My First Online Course
- Inc.com: Creating a $300k Online Course
- Marie Poulin: Behind the scenes of creating, launching and marketing an online program (Part 1 | Part 2)
Podcasts about how to create an online course
- Sell services before courses with Halley Gray from Evolve + Succeed on Zen Courses show
- Go & Grow Podcast: How to start and grow an online course to over $300,000 in revenue, with Paul Jarvis
- Off The Charts podcast: What it takes to launch an online course successfully
- Unemployable: Why Don’t Some Online Courses Sell?
- Side Hustle Nation: How to Create, Market, and Sell Your First Online Course – Even With a Small Audience
- Online Course Coach: Online Courses, Joint Ventures and Membership sites with James Schramko
The final word (before you go create your online course)
Creating an online course can be a lucrative and valuable endeavour. Just ensure that you’re doing it for the right reasons and that you allow adequate time to plan, build, launch, and promote it (multiple times).
Like any product or service, the key to success is building your audience long before selling. Read that again.
Hope these resources have been helpful for you.
Have you come across any other useful resources that I could add to this list, or are you looking to create a course soon? Leave a comment and let us know.